Sunday 22 September 2013

Summer in September (A 'Stills' Post).






Another week was spent working in Darwin. This time around, I was more prepared for the humidity and how to grapple with my hair. I even managed two early morning runs, in about 95% humidity (and had to apologise profusely to the elderly couple I shared the hotel lift with afterwards!). Back at home, my weekend was spent lazily swimming, drinking coffee, doing uni work and riding to the shops on my shiny new bike. (More about the bike soon!)

I also came across this video over the weekend. It tells the story of Garrawarra Cemetery, an overgrown bush cemetery in the northern reaches of Wollongong, NSW, where more than 2,000 tuberculosis patients were buried in the first half of the 20th century. One of those buried there is my great-great-grandmother, Florence, whose photograph appears in the film. Watching the film made me remember the stories told to me by my great-grandmother, about her mother becoming ill with 'consumption', having to care for her mum and her siblings until Florence was taken to the Sanitorium and my Gran and her siblings to girls' and boys' homes and then foster families. Florence was only 36 when she died. Florence was a singer in the Tivoli circuit, and Gran remembered her as having the 'voice of an angel'. I can't imagine what it must have been like. Nowadays, the cemetery is overgrown and closed to the public.
  1. Those chickens just keep on growing.
  2. It's shiny, it's red and it has a basket. Perfect for Alice Springs, perfect for summer.
  3. The scruffy author.
  4. Bright colours from the loungeroom floor, newspaper-reading.
  5. Some of the many tomatoes budding on our plants.
  6. Kale growing quickly.
  7. Deliciously hued bedspread I picked up from Darwin's Mindil Beach Market.

6 comments:

  1. Wow - its hard to believe you have tomatoes already - we don't even plant until the end of this month!!!
    We are so lucky to have access to good health care these days...not something to be taken for granted at all
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely shots from your week. Such interesting information about your great grandmother, so hard to imagine what life must have been like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great to see your productive garden in Alice, will have to show my friends who live there!

    So special that you can access some information about your Great-great grandmother, must have been so hard for the family to be split up like that. My mum and her siblings also got divvied up between family/boarding school when her mum passed away.

    Melania

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooo lovely...having mild panic attacks about not tending my garden for 2 weeks lookig at your pics...you look wonderful not a hint of scruffy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely stills from your week.
    Those sweet young chooks are very cute.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great job going for two runs in Darwin!! That humidity drives me crazy!
    You great-great- grand-mother's story (and your great-grandmothers) is quite something. Thanks for sharing it with us x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...