Sunday 23 February 2014

Other places: Unexpected trip home.






After spending a week in Darwin for work, I got the news that my grandfather wasn't well. So instead of flying back to Alice Springs, I was able to change my flight to Sydney (and book in some last minute leave) so that I could spend a couple of days in Wollongong with my family. I was a little bit worried leaving Darwin that I wouldn't have warm enough clothes, given that I'd packed for the humid (horrible!) wet season weather. Not to fear - Wollongong was in the midst of its own 'wet season', with humid, muggy, rainy weather for most of the time I was there.

Going back to Wollongong, the place where I grew up, went to school and university, and started my adult life (real job, mortgage, marriage...) is always a funny thing. In some ways, things are exactly as they were last time I was there (and have forever been the same). There are friends I can call - without notice - and spend time with, or even surprise them at their front door (yes! I really did!). Then, in other ways, it feels like a different place - old buildings making way for new developments, new shops, restaurants and cafes, new people, old friends who have moved on.

It was very much a last minute trip, meaning I didn't have time to plan to catch up with all the family and friends I would normally try to see. (Sorry! next time will be better planned!) But it was so good to breathe in the familiar salty air, hug my grandparents (and parents, sister and niece) and catch up with my longtime besties for chats and Mexican food.


  1. Coming down the freeway from Sydney to Wollongong with the drizzle and mist.
  2. A hazy day at North Beach, still warm enough to swim.
  3. diggies, one of my favourite cafes, in the old kiosk building at North Beach.
  4. diggies again
  5. Hazel, my niece, is 11 months old and always busy.
  6. Makeshift toys at Nana and Poppy's place
  7. Have top knot, will crawl.
  8. And... back up the freeway.
  9. Sunrise over Botany Bay and a glimpse of the airport.

Joining with The Beetle Shack's weekly 'Stills' link up!

11 comments:

  1. Your description of what it's like to return home is spot on. That's exactly how I feel when I return home to Adelaide - partly "this is MY town" and partly "I don't know this place anymore". Whatever the reason, a trip home is never a disappointment, in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I returned home for Christmas. The town where I grew up feels bigger and less familiar these days.....but some bits stay the same and it feels good to reminness.
    I loved all your photos and the way you've edited them....the greyness really appeals to me. Have a great week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle, these are just iphone snaps edited in VSCOcam. The light was rather grey and moody a lot of the time I was there! Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful images, hope your grandfather is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lila. He's out of hospital and resting up x

      Delete
  4. Nice to make time to get back home for family even if it was unexpected. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane. Ps diggies looks like a cool place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy, yep family time is always valuable. And - diggies is a pretty cool place in a magic location!

      Delete
  5. Hope your grandfather is better. Beautiful description about returning home. Gotta love old friends that you can just "drop in" on. I love that photo of your neice and chubba bubba arms. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh the northern beaches they are such a beautiful sight. Love the natives of the pines and scrub. beautiful photos lovingly captured. have a wonderful week. x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...