Wednesday 19 March 2014

Girl Rising: The value of education.



Last Saturday, I had a major case of the crankypants. I think for the most part, it was because of a stinking hot day (for Autumn) - it was nudging 40 degrees Celsius and windy. Hot and windy sometimes makes me cranky.

I tried to tackle the cranks first of all in the kitchen. I channelled Nigella and made these ricotta hotcakes, with fresh eggs from the chooks and cooked in coconut oil. And - of course - accompanied a strong coffee. I served the hotcakes with strawberries and natural yoghurt - very yum!

But - I still had the grumps. I knew there were a couple of hours study looming so I bunked down in my little study nook, chugged the air con into gear and knocked over a couple of hours, catching up on my first two weeks of Criminal Law.

Then, in the early evening, I jumped on my shiny red bike and pedalled across the river to watch a film that well and truly elevated my mood and blew the cotton socks off the crankypants.

Girl Rising was the film and it was screened to commemorate International Women's Day. The film is about something that I am very passionate about - education. More specifically, the education of girls.

Educating girls can help to break the cycle of poverty. When girls are educated, they are more likely to marry and have children later, and when they do have children, they are more likely to send them to school. Educated women have more economic opportunities. Education improves health outcomes and overall gender equity where more women are empowered to become involved in decision and policy making processes.

From the Girl Rising website is this description:

From Academy Award-nominated director Richard E. Robbins, Girl Rising journeys around the globe to witness the strength of the human spirit and the power of education to change the world. Viewers get to know nine unforgettable girls living in the developing world: ordinary girls who confront tremendous challenges and overcome nearly impossible odds to pursue their dreams. Prize-winning authors put the girls’ remarkable stories into words, and renowned actors give them voice.

And for me, simply sitting in the open air, surrounded by (mostly) women, watching dark clouds gathering in the sky above the outdoor cinema screen was enough to lift me out of the grumps. The film went a step further, elevating me to hope and believe that we will one day live in a world where girls and women have the same opportunities for education - and life - as men and boys.


The UN Women website is a valuable resource in the work being undertaken in developing countries around the world in gender equity and empowerment of women.

The Girl Rising film screening was held at Olive Pink Botanic Garden in Alice Springs through the efforts of the Central Australian Women's Legal Service (CAWLS) and the NT Working Women's Centre. Thanks!


EDIT: I feel like I've left this post a bit like one of those 'click to show you hate cancer' Facebook posts, i.e. a touch of slacktivism and a little self indulgence on the matter of my grumpiness. So, in the spirit of putting my money where my mouth is, here are some ways that I thought I could contribute towards creating more opportunities through education. I have committed to monthly donations to the two organisations listed below. I would encourage you to do the same, if you can - even if it's a one-off donation - or support another organisation that is working towards the goal of empowerment through education.

Indigenous Literacy Foundation 
The ILF aims to raise literacy levels and improve the lives and opportunities of Indigenous children living in remote and isolated regions. This is done by through the delivery of books and literacy resources, publishing and visits out to remote communities.  In addition, the Foundation advocates to raise community awareness of Indigenous literacy issues. Set up in 2011, the Foundation is a not-for-profit charity, without any government or major corporate funding.  It works with the support of the Australian Publishers Association, the Australian Booksellers Association and the Australian Society of Authors along with a team of ambassadors, volunteers and three full-time staff. 
www.indigenousliteracyfoundation.org.au

UN Women Australia
The Australian National Committee for UN Women is one of 18 National Committees globally. The Australian National Committee for UN Women is an active participant in UN activities relating to gender and development and sends an annual delegation to the UN Commission on the Status of Women including supporting a youth delegate to attend each year. Their role is to raise funds to support programs which achieve gender equality and empower women; challenge attitudes which perpetuate gender inequality in Australia and globally; and engage the support of Government in achieving gender equality in partnership with UN Women.
www.unwomen.org.au   |  www.givenow.com.au/auscommitteeUNwomenv 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...