Monday 10 March 2014

On being 33 and learning to skateboard (again).



That's right, I'm almost in my mid-30s (mid-mid-30s, if you will) and I have gone and got myself a skateboard. A longboard, to be precise. It's an idea I have had in the back of my head since I was in my mid- to late-20s and living on the city fringe in Adelaide. But, for some reason or another it didn't come about back then, so I'm making up for it now.

Learning to skateboard was one of the first things I did when I finished school. There were two big ticket items on this list: learn to skate and learn to surf. Living - back then - in a place with close access to fantastic beaches meant learning to surf was both easy and convenient. Skating followed on. My sister was already into it, and it was something lots of people in our group of friends were doing, so it was a great learning environment. I was never quite the star on the skatey as my sister - she seemed fearless at the skate park and used to skate (and win) in competitions. I skated in one comp, held at a skate park in Canberra, and placed third. My sister, of course, won. I was happy to have won a set of trucks, a hat and a t-shirt for my efforts - which consisted of dropping in to a shallow bowl, a few swooshy turns, going over stuff, up and down a few ramps, but not many tricks.

So here I am, thirty three years old, and owner of a funky longboard. It's different to a regular board but I'm getting the feel for it. I'd like to maybe skate to work sometimes, or at least into town.

If you see me around, please don't laugh! I might be cruising, or I might just be walking for a little bit with it under my arm.



Habitat longboard // purchased from Valor art / sk8 / life, Alice Springs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...