Sunday 11 May 2014

The beauty of bicycling.



There are so many benefits to cycling for transport but sometimes, it is just easier to drive. I am guilty of using the car when I should really ride my bike: yes! I know. Terrible. There are some simple ways to make the transport decision easier; I'm writing this post to remind myself as much as anything!

Keep your bike somewhere that is easily accessible
If your bike is stored in the back of a dusty shed and you have to clamber over the lawnmower, storage boxes and power tools to get to it, you're not going to be doing this at 8.25am when you're supposed to leave for work. You're more likely to grab the car keys - stored within easy reach - and jump in the car that's parked right outside your house. It's important to keep your bike secure but the easier it is to get to, the more likely you'll be to wheel it out and jump on! And if it's waiting at or near the front door, you're going to see it when you're getting ready to leave - what a great reminder!

Adapt your wardrobe to suit the ride
Now, I'm not talking replacing all your smart work clothes with lycra; it's about dressing to suit your commute. (Ka-ching! Cue corny rhyme.) I am lucky that it's a seven-minute ride from my front door to the office, so I generally don't raise a sweat, unless of course it is 45 degrees Celsius (which in summer, it usually is!). For me, now is the perfect time of year to be riding to work and general transport, with sunny, crisp mornings and pleasant daytime temperatures. When I had further to travel on the bike to work, I adapted by wearing cycling gear and getting changed (or showered and changed) once I got to work. It takes a little more preparation and organisation (forgot your undies? only packed one sock? forgot your work shoes? I am nodding yes to all these, and more) but you'll soon get into your own routine. I leave my tailored jacket at work and usually a pair of work shoes under my desk. Given that I've got such a short ride these days, I just wear my work clothes on the bike, usually dresses or skirts with leggings or stockings underneath and a scarf and warm layers when it's icy cold.

The little things count
Accessorise! And by that, I mean make sure your bike is prepared. Does it get dark early where you live? Add some flashing lights to your bike and leave them in place so it's one less thing to think about. Make sure you've got a lock or somewhere safe to store your bike once you get to your destination. Helmets are mandatory when riding on the road in all Australian states and territories, so make sure you've got one that fits correctly and meets Australian standards. Do you need to carry a backpack or does your bike have a basket or panniers to stow your things while you ride? Other small details include reflector bands in case you ride in heavy traffic, a chain guard if you don't want to worry about rolling up your pants, and clear glasses to keep your eyes protected and your vision clear on drizzly days.

Other ideas for making the decision to cycle a no-brainer include planning your route and timing it, so you know how long to factor in; incorporate as many cycleways, shared bike paths and bike lanes where you can, so you don't have to worry about traffic; find a buddy to ride with, if you need extra motivation; and start small by taking small trips on your bike on the weekend until you get used to cycling around!

One of my favourite things about cycling to work is the ride home again. It's the best feeling to leave the office, jump on my shiny red bike and pedal away the day. Once I get home I'm ready to relax* and refreshed for the next day.

What about you? Got any tips to share?



*Err, by relax, I really mean walking the dogs, making dinner and then hitting the textbooks for a couple of hours uni work...but you get the drift, yeah?

2 comments:

  1. just read your post... and kind of ironic, but my dh had a cycling accident today! luckily had his helmet on, but even so he came off his bike and is quite bruised! but he loves his cycling, it just pays to be careful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I hope your husband is okay after his accident. It definitely pays to be careful and aware, especially when riding with traffic. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...