Monday 5 May 2014

The mountaintop and the minutiae.








After more than two years in Alice Springs, yesterday I climbed Mt Gillen for the first time. The mountain forms part of the West MacDonnell Ranges, which stretch out from Alice Springs into the rugged surrounds. It was a perfect day for a hike - the sun was shining but the morning air crisp and the breeze cool. It's a scramble to reach the top but once you're up, the views are amazing. After the recent rain, the ancient country is blanketed with the deep green of new growth. From the mountaintop, I breathed deeply and let my eyes scan outwards, outwards, until the bumpy ranges of the far horizon met the end of the sky.

As for the minutiae?

Cool air whispering around in the mornings as summer has been farewelled.

The chickens rushing out behind me in a line, one-two-three.

The excited pantings of a dog either side as we walk in the early evening.

Long weekends with no plans but lots of options.

Life feels simple right now. Beneath this simplicity is the struggle in knowing that things are simple because I have all I need. I feel thankful, but lucky beyond belief.

1 comment:

  1. What breathtaking views! I definitely have the bush walking itch again, after seeing those.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...